Following the significant results obtained by SEA in the effort to control energy consumption (and of the related CO2 emissions), an internal communication campaign was started in 2011 to raise personnel awareness on energy saving themes and on environmental respect in general.
The campaign’s primary goals are to:
- increase internal and external public’s awareness of the effort, the results achieved and the future plans of the SEA Group for the containment of energy consumption;
- develop a sense of belonging and responsibility by the business community with regard to environmental matters (the environment is everyone’s concern, not just the responsibility of the functions in charge);
- stimulate “green” behaviour in members of the SEA community acting both as employees and as citizens;
- promote SEA’s public image positioning as a “catalyst” of good environmental practices.
The tone of the campaign was persuasive rather than prescriptive. The attempt was to leverage the understanding of the need for a collective effort in addressing environmental problems, without using a “guilt trip” approach but inviting people to see how certain habits traditionally considered inconsequential in our daily life may have a great impact in terms of environmental benefits, especially when they are adopted collectively.
Campaign messages concerned 3 areas of behaviour:
- management of electric/electronic equipment and water consumption in the workplace (office or elsewhere);
- mobility options for commuting to work and travelling on business;
- home energy saving information and advice.
The campaign used both online and offline channels to implement 5 main actions:
- Posting on the company intranet of a 90” video describing what “SEA as a company” does and what SEA employees can do to save energy. The video ends with an invitation for employees to access a section of the Intranet and complete a questionnaire on their current behaviour that may impact energy consumption.
- In June 2011, the 600 male office workers received a gadget T shirt asking them to go without a necktie in exchange for a higher temperature setting of their office air conditioner.
- Posting on SEA’s website of a 45”-60” version of the video, intended for external audiences and focusing on SEA’s commitment to energy saving, with a final encouragement for all citizens to adopt virtuous, i.e. environmentally as well as economically beneficial behaviours. The video is shown on the megascreens installed in the Linate and Malpensa terminal during summer periods.
- Posters in work spaces (halls, lobbies, canteens, conference rooms, refreshment areas, parking areas etc.) with messages inviting people to adopt environmentally appropriate behaviours.
- Creation of a special section in the company’s intranet, providing recommendations and information on energy saving in the office and at home as well as updates on the Company’s accomplishments in this area, collecting feedback, and facilitating the creation of a corporate virtual community on the campaign themes.
- Periodic surveys on the behaviour of the corporate population with respect to energy consumption at work and at home.